Water Trail Education and Outreach AmeriCorps Coordinator
This position is based with Sound Rivers, Inc in Washington, NC. The Sound Rivers vision and mission is to monitor, protect and enhance water quality and related ecosystems in the Neuse and Tar-Pamlico River basins while supporting environmental justice.
Before you apply, please “read the instructions carefully”:
Include all relevant materials in your application. Applications that do not include all of the relevant items will not be considered. Start date is September 6th 2017 and will end on June 30th 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with the last day to apply being June 30th 2017.
Please note that this is for an AmeriCorps position for 10-months with a pre-determined living allowance and other benefits that include health care benefit and the Segal Education Award. All information can be found on the link provided above.
**The position is subject to federal renewal of the Corporation of National and Community Service and the AmeriCorps program. At this time the Conservation Trust for North Carolina,the host program for CTNC AmeriCorps, is hopeful funding will be renewed for the AmeriCorps program. **
Purpose of the Position
The Water Trail Education and Outreach Coordinator will oversee the expanded use of the Neuse and Tar-Pamlico Water Trails, and use the trail to engage and involve the public in the awareness and protection of our waterways. The Coordinator will work with all segments of the communities along the waterways to recognize and address obstacles to use, and to better educate the public about the issues, benefits and importance of protecting our natural resources.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
The Coordinator’s principal responsibilities are:
- Coordinating expansion of the water trails including access points and new platforms;
- Using the water trails, waterways and related ecosystems as the basis for expanded environmental awareness and education, especially targeting underserved segments of communities such as Hispanic and communities of color (e.g. Youth Kayaking program);
- Work with cities and towns to develop plans for ecotourism development;
- Address requirements and write application for National Water Trail designation for the Neuse and Tar-Pamlico Water Trail
- Engage in educational outreach events and activities in coordination and cooperation with other environmental organizations