AmeriCorps Community Outreach and Stewardship Coordinator
This position is with the Bald Head Island Conservancy based on Bald Head Island, NC. The BHI Conservancy vision is for Bald Head Island and coastal communities to "live in harmony with nature". To support this vision we instituted the mission of fostering community based barrier island conservation, education and preservation.
Before you apply, please “read the instructions carefully”: http://www.ctnc.org/connect/americorps-application-portal-2/ and include all relevant materials in your application. Applications that do not include all of the relevant items will not be considered. Please note that this is for an AmeriCorps position for 10-months with a pre-determined living allowance of $13,732 and other benefits that include: child care benefit, health care benefit for monthly premium coverage, and the Segal Education Award upon successful completion of the term of $5,920. All information can be found on the link provided above.
CTNC is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate because of race, creed, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, sexual preference or familial status.
CTNC seeks to engage applicants from underrepresented communities, particularly of Asian, Black, Hispanic, Multi-Racial, and Native American background, in conservation careers. Connecting more diverse applicants to an employment pathway has led to greater equity, diversity and inclusion of all people in conservation.
Purpose of the Position
The purpose of the BHI Conservancy AmeriCorps Community Outreach and Stewardship Coordinator will be to increase the number of BHI Conservancy volunteers and create a volunteer database to manage and coordinate volunteers. The Coordinator will act as a guide to link interested people with volunteer opportunities regarding the Conservancy’s mission of barrier island conservation, education and preservation.
In addition, the AmeriCorps member will work to increase BHI Conservancy’s capacity to reach underserved communities of Brunswick County. Many Brunswick County families have not been afforded the opportunity to experience local coastal areas, including Bald Head Island. The AmeriCorps member will facilitate opportunities for the public to learn about coastal ecology and stewardship of local coastal environments. The AmeriCorps member will also work to develop a curriculum to bring the coast to the classroom and community events.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
The AmeriCorps Community Outreach and Stewardship Coordinator will work as a part of the BHI Conservancy team. They are responsible for coordinating volunteers to help carryout mission based work. In addition they will act as an environmental educator facilitating outreach events both on and off island. This position will have the responsibility to increase BHI Conservancy’s ability to reach underserved populations of Brunswick County. This position may also require participation in other BHI Conservancy activities (i.e. physically demanding fieldwork for long hours and exposure to all seasonal conditions found on a barrier island).
- This position requires a bachelor's degree in environmental science, ecology, or other science based degree
- Knowledge of best practices for ecological research and stewardship.
- Knowledge of local flora, fauna and ecological processes.
- Experience managing volunteers preferred.
- Self-directed but can work within a team environment.
- Excellent listening and communication skills.
- Ability to multitask.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively, creatively and effectively with people of all ethnic, socio-economic, and cultural backgrounds
- Must be at least 18 years of age, be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States; Must have a legal driver’s license and consent to a criminal history check
- Demonstrated computer abilities in Microsoft Office suite, especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint; webpage and social media background a plus
Essential Functions / Physical Demands
- Develop and implement a volunteer program to engage community members and island visitors.
- Assist with development of volunteer group to carry out Conservancy projects and assist with events
- Help initiate and facilitate citizen science programs.
- Assist with curriculum development and carry out community building activities including outreach to under served populations in Brunswick County.
- Assist with developing an NC Environmental Educator workshop to hold on BHI Conservancy Campus to reach teachers working in underserved areas of North Carolina.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
Typical workday consisting of 9am to 5pm schedule with evening, overnight and holiday work may be required. Housing will be provided on-site in a shared dorm. Ferry cost to and from Bald Head Island will be compensated, as will long term parking at ferry dock.