Conservation and Education AmeriCorps Coordinator
This position is based in Durham, NC with the Eno River Association. The Eno River Association is a 501c3 non-profit conservation organization whose mission is to conserve and protect the natural, cultural and historic resources of the Eno River basin.
Before you apply, please “read the instructions carefully”: http://www.ctnc.org/connect/americorps-application-portal-2/ and include all relevant materials in your application. Applications that do not include all of the relevant items will not be considered. Please note that this is for an AmeriCorps position for 10-months with a pre-determined living allowance of $13,732 and other benefits that include: child care benefit,health care benefit for monthly premium coverage, and the Segal Education Award upon successful completion of the term of $5,920. All information can be found on the link provided above.
CTNC is an equalopportunity employer and will not discriminate because of race, creed, color,national origin, gender, age, disability, sexual preference or familial status.
CTNC seeks toengage applicants from underrepresented communities, particularly of Asian,Black, Hispanic, Multi-Racial, and Native American background, in conservationcareers. Connecting more diverse applicants to an employment pathway hasled to greater equity, diversity and inclusion of all people in conservation.
Purpose of the position
The Conservation and Education AmeriCorps Coordinator will be responsible for developing a Site Steward program for the Eno River Association’s conservation properties, planning and managing community workdays, organizing landowner outreach meetings, and supporting hands-on, feet-wet environmental education programs for underserved youth.
Position responsibilities and duties
The AmeriCorps member will:
- Organize two or more stewardship workdays per month. Duties will include promoting workdays through social media and other outreach methods, managing an email listserv of stewardship volunteers, recruiting volunteers, and orienting volunteers to each project site and task. They must keep a vehicle clean and with fuel, and maintain an existing inventory of tools, assembling all equipment and supplies needed for each workday.
- Communicate with volunteers and other friends of the Association in a friendly, responsive, and professional manner.
- Finalize plans and deploy a new Site Stewards program. As part of the program, the member will need to recruit and train a corps of ‘super volunteers’ to manage key conservation lands.
- Plan and implement two workshops for landowners that encourage them to participate in Eno’s conservation programs.
- Support our STEM-based environmental education programs, which get kids hands-on and feet-wet in the Eno and prepare them for success in science back in the classroom.
- May begin NC Environmental Education Certification, as well as training or certification in wilderness first aid, trail maintenance, chainsaw safety, hazardous materials, or other value added skill.
Qualifications (knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the job)
- Requires basic knowledge of natural resource management, volunteer coordination, and environmental restoration techniques
- Requires a basic knowledge of the local environment
- Requires an ability to learn identification of local plants
- Requires an interest in environmental education for people of all ages
- Requires strong leadership skills
- Requires strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact and communicate with a variety of public and private interests, partners, and constituents
- Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Requires the ability to work independently and in a team setting
- Requires a willingness to work in an outdoor environment and in an office setting
- Demonstrated computer abilities in Microsoft Office suite, especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint; webpage and social media background (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) preferred
- Must be at least 18 years of age, be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States; Must have a legal driver’s license and consent to a criminal history check
Essential Functions/physical demands
- Ability to lift at least 30lbs
- Ability to navigate uneven terrain in an outdoor environment
- Ability to withstand unfavorable weather conditions
- Ability to work in an office setting at a computer
Monday through Friday 9AM to 5PM and some weekends (at least one weekend day per month for stewardship workdays as well as occasional special events)