AmeriCorps Education Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator
This position is based with Keep Durham Beautiful, in Durham NC. Keep Durham Beautiful (KDB) engages and inspires individuals to take greater responsibility for their community environment. Focus areas include litter prevention, recycling and waste reduction, and community greening. KDB is an affiliate of the national nonprofit, Keep America Beautiful and shares its mission, goals and strategies for effecting behavior change for enhanced environmental stewardship.
Before you apply, please “read the instructions carefully”: http://www.ctnc.org/connect/americorps-application-portal-2/ and include all relevant materials in your application. Applications that do not include all of the relevant items will not be considered. Please note that this is for an AmeriCorps position considered "Half-Time" for 900 service hours over 6-months with a pre-determined living allowance of $7,000 and other benefits that include: child care benefit, health care benefit for monthly premium coverage, and the Segal Education Award upon successful completion of the term of $2,907. All information can be found on the link provided above.
CTNC is an equalopportunity employer and will not discriminate because of race, creed, color,national origin, gender, age, disability, sexual preference or familial status.
CTNC seeks toengage applicants from underrepresented communities, particularly of Asian,Black, Hispanic, Multi-Racial, and Native American background, in conservationcareers. Connecting more diverse applicants to an employment pathway hasled to greater equity, diversity and inclusion of all people in conservation.
Purpose of the Position
The purpose of this position will be to expand the reach and effectiveness of Keep Durham Beautiful to promote environmental stewardship beyond its current capacity with a special focus on targeting underserved, low-income, or non-traditional KDB volunteers who may have less opportunities to engage in environmental stewardship and community green infrastructure. Specific functions include:
- Increase number of new partnerships formed in a year
- Increase number of new volunteers recruited in a year
- Increase the number of volunteer activities offered and develop one new signature event
- Enhance partnership and volunteer retention and returning volunteers through better tracking and data collection, communication, follow-up, and targeted service opportunities that impact the volunteer’s community
- Develop new ways to engage the community and youth through environmental stewardship
- Establish new partnerships with neighborhood and community groups with a focus on underserved neighborhoods throughout Durham County
- Recruit and manage volunteers for service projects focusing on litter prevention, waste reduction and recycling and community greening
- Train volunteers in serving as leaders for environmental and beautification projects
- Provide environmental outreach on related topics as needed
- Identify low-income underserved communities that have an interest in volunteering to help plant trees, coordinate the project, and leverage non-traditional funding sources to meet tree cost-share requirement
- Serve as a KDB liaison with new partners
- Plan, implement and coordinate volunteer activities at environmental outreach events. Activities include but are not limited to tree planting, stream clean-up, road side litter pick-up, community gardens, landscaping
- Take the lead to develop a new signature event for KDB to engage new volunteers
- Document events through social media to promote educational activities and recruit new volunteers
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, as assigned. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience with recruiting and managing volunteers a plus
- Relationship building skills
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with various departments and foster teamwork
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Skills in database management and record keeping
- Ability to maintain a flexible work schedule
- Excellent organizational skills
- Must be able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Gather and analyze information skillfully
- Exhibit resourcefulness and initiative in dealing with daily assumptions
- Demonstrate interest in environmental stewardship and the ability to learn, understand and teach about technical aspects of sustainability and environmental stewardship concepts
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively, creatively and effectively with people of all ethnic, socio-economic, and cultural backgrounds
- Must be at least 18 years of age, be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States; Must have a state issued or federal issued ID and consent to a criminal history check
- Demonstrated computer abilities in Microsoft Office suite, especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint; webpage and social media background a plus
Essential Functions / Physical Demands
- Ability to work at a computer for up to 8 hours at a time
- Ability to speak on the telephone and in person in front of groups of volunteers
- Ability to lift 20-30 lbs occasionally for supply distribution such as small trees, tools, recycling equipment, or bags of litter
- Ability to dig holes with a shovel and scoop mulch with a pitchfork for demonstration at volunteer tree planting events
- Ability to reach to the ground to demonstrate litter pick-up with volunteers
- Ability to load or unload a truck with supplies for volunteer events
The typical work week will range from 35-40 hours during standard working hours. If an event is scheduled for an evening or weekend, the work week may be adjusted accordingly. There may be up to 16 hours of weekend or evening work involved per month.