Outdoor Education Programmer AmeriCorps Member
The mission of the Eastern 4-H Center is to provide year-round training and educational programs for: youth, community groups, business and corporate sector and University students and faculty. The Center’s staff is dedicated to providing every participant an opportunity to feel accepted, valued and cared about as a member of the community. Creating friendships and a sense of safety are as important to us as the activities we teach. Our vision is to establish an enjoyable and exciting program that contributes to the development of each participant’s character.
The program mission is to enhance and foster learning in an outdoor education environment on site and in schools. We will be taking the education that students receive in class, and putting it to test in the field. By doing this we are allowing youth to have educational experiences in a way that they might not have been exposed to before.
Before you apply, please “read the instructions carefully”: http://www.ctnc.org/connect/americorps-application-portal-2/ and include all relevant materials in your application. Applications that do not include all of the relevant items will not be considered. Please note that this is for an AmeriCorps position considered "full-time" for 1700 service hours over 10-months with a pre-determined living allowance of $14,000 and other benefits that include: child care benefit, health care benefit for monthly premium coverage, and the Segal Education Award upon successful completion of the term of $5,920. All information can be found on the link provided above.
This position will offer on-site housing at the 4-H Center in Columbia which would include water, electric, internet, TV, washer/dryer, and kitchen access.
CTNC is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate because of race, creed, color,national origin, gender, age, disability, sexual preference or familial status.
CTNC seeks to engage applicants from underrepresented communities, particularly of Asian,Black, Hispanic, Multi-Racial, and Native American background, in conservation careers. Connecting more diverse applicants to an employment pathway has led to greater equity, diversity and inclusion of all people in conservation.
Purpose of Position
To maintain and create new outdoor education opportunities through program plans and curriculum. Furthermore, it is to implement these outdoor education programs and evaluate them for future development.
We are also in search of this position to acquire someone with extensive experience and/or education in outdoor environmental education or developing programs with education based curriculum standards.
The AmeriCorps member, in conjunction with the Program Director, would identify programs needs for the Eastern 4-H Center’s unique environment. They would be designing programs that are going to be in place for years to come. These programs will have a lasting impact on the quality and type of education in a different educational setting than most of the students in the Eastern part of NC have ever seen.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
- Use current resources to maintain and develop further curriculum based outdoor education programming.
- Include all the resources of the Eastern 4-H center in programming including the wetland boardwalk, pier & it’s very diverse natural resources.
- Evaluate the current outdoor education programming.
- Provide instruction for the program we offer on-site as well as for trips to schools in the area. Topics will all be Outdoor Education based.
- Maintain Wet Lab and other program areas and report any needs in equipment or supplies to the Program Director.
- General knowledge of applicable Natural and Earth Sciences.
- Specific knowledge of wetland and estuarine ecology
- Specific knowledge of environmental and outdoor education curriculum development either through experience and/or school/training
- Specific knowledge of Pocosin Forest’s is preferred.
- Ability to plan, implement, and evaluate a program plan.
- General knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Publisher.
- The member will be required to go through a background check through NC State University, along with a FBI and NC State criminal history background check. If applicable, a state background check if a current resident of another state other than NC will be required.
Essential Functions / Physical Demands
- Ability to lift 25 lbs occasionally and 10 lbs often.
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time.
- Ability to bend, lift, push and pull.
8:00 am - 5:00 pm workdays with occasional weekends and nights and a 1-hour lunch break. Typically off Sunday & Monday unless a user group is in and needs programming.